- Sec. 1.02. CONSTRUCTION OF CODE. The Code Construction Act (Chapter 311, Government Code) applies to the construction of each provision in this code, except as otherwise expressly provided by this code.
Acts 1977, 65th Leg., p. 393, ch. 194, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1977. Amended by Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 479, Sec. 67, eff. Sept. 1, 1985.
- Sec. 1.04. DEFINITIONS. In this code:
- (1) "Alcoholic beverage" means alcohol, or any beverage containing more than one-half of one percent of alcohol by volume, which is capable of use for beverage purposes, either alone or when diluted.
- (2) "Consignment sale" means:
- (A) the delivery of alcoholic beverages under an agreement, arrangement, condition, or system by which the person receiving the beverages has the right at any time to relinquish possession to them or to return them to the shipper and in which title to the beverages remains in the shipper;
- (B) the delivery of alcoholic beverages under an agreement, arrangement, condition, or system by which the person designated as the receiver merely acts as an intermediary for the shipper or seller and the actual receiver;
- (C) the delivery of alcoholic beverages to a factor or broker;
- (D) any method employed by a shipper or seller by which a person designated as the purchaser of alcoholic beverages does not in fact purchase the beverages;
- (E) any method employed by a shipper or seller by which a person is placed in actual or constructive possession of an alcoholic beverage without acquiring title to the beverage; or
- (F) any other type of transaction which may legally be construed as a consignment sale.
- (3) "Distilled spirits" means alcohol, spirits of wine, whiskey, rum, brandy, gin, or any liquor produced in whole or in part by the process of distillation, including all dilutions or mixtures of them, and includes spirit coolers that may have an alcoholic content as low as four percent alcohol by volume and that contain plain, sparkling, or carbonated water and may also contain one or more natural or artificial blending or flavoring ingredients.
- (4) "Illicit beverage" means an alcoholic beverage:
- (A) manufactured, distributed, bought, sold, bottled, rectified, blended, treated, fortified, mixed, processed, warehoused, stored, possessed, imported, or transported in violation of this code;
- (B) on which a tax imposed by the laws of this state has not been paid and to which the tax stamp, if required, has not been affixed; or
- (C) possessed, kept, stored, owned, or imported with intent to manufacture, sell, distribute, bottle, rectify, blend, treat, fortify, mix, process, warehouse, store, or transport in violation of this code.
- (5) "Liquor" means any alcoholic beverage containing alcohol in excess of four percent by weight, unless otherwise indicated. Proof that an alcoholic beverage is alcohol, spirits of wine, whiskey, liquor, wine, brandy, gin, rum, ale, malt liquor, tequila, mescal, habanero, or barreteago, is prima facie evidence that it is liquor.
- (6) "Person" means a natural person or association of natural persons, trustee, receiver, partnership, corporation, organization, or the manager, agent, servant, or employee of any of them.
- (7) "Wine and vinous liquor" means the product obtained from the alcoholic fermentation of juice of sound ripe grapes, fruits, berries, or honey, and includes wine coolers.
- (8) "Hotel" means the premises of an establishment:
- (A) where, in consideration of payment, travelers are furnished food and lodging;
- (B) in which are located:
- (i) at least 10 adequately furnished completely separate rooms with adequate facilities so comfortably disposed that persons usually apply for and receive overnight accommodations in the establishment, either in the course of usual and regular travel or as a residence; or
- (ii) at least five rooms described by Subparagraph (i) if the building being used as a hotel is a historic structure as defined by Section 442.001, Government Code; and
- (C) which operates a regular dining room constantly frequented by customers each day.
- (9) "Applicant" means a person who submits or files an original or renewal application with the county judge, commission, or administrator for a license or permit.
- (10) "Commission" means the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.
- (11) "Permittee" means a person who is the holder of a permit provided for in this code, or an agent, servant, or employee of that person.
- (12) "Ale" or "malt liquor" means a malt beverage containing more than four percent of alcohol by weight.
- (13) "Mixed beverage" means one or more servings of a beverage composed in whole or part of an alcoholic beverage in a sealed or unsealed container of any legal size for consumption on the premises where served or sold by the holder of a mixed beverage permit, the holder of a daily temporary mixed beverage permit, the holder of a caterer's permit, the holder of a mixed beverage late hours permit, the holder of a private club registration permit, or the holder of a private club late hours permit.
- (14) "Barrel" means, as a standard of measure, a quantity of beer equal to 31 standard gallons.
- (15) "Beer" means a malt beverage containing one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume and not more than four percent of alcohol by weight.
- (16) "Licensee" means a person who is the holder of a license provided in this code, or any agent, servant, or employee of that person.
- (17) "Manufacturer" means a person engaged in the manufacture or brewing of beer, whether located inside or outside the state.
- (18) "Original package," as applied to beer, means a container holding beer in bulk, or any box, crate, carton, or other device used in packing beer that is contained in bottles or other containers.
- (19) "Premises" has the meaning given it in Section 11.49 of this code.
- (20) "Citizen of Texas" and "citizen of this state" mean a person who is a citizen of both the United States and Texas.
- (21) "Minibar" means a closed container in a hotel guestroom with access to the interior of the container restricted by a locking device which requires the use of a key, magnetic card, or similar device.
- (22) "Minibar key" means the key, magnetic card, or similar device which permits access to the interior of a minibar.
- (23) "Guestroom" means a sleeping room, including any adjacent private living area, in a hotel which is rented to guests for their use as an overnight accommodation.
- (24) "Wine cooler" means an alcoholic beverage consisting of vinous liquor plus plain, sparkling, or carbonated water and which may also contain one or more natural or artificial blending or flavoring ingredients. A wine cooler may have an alcohol content as low as one-half of one percent by volume.
- (25) "Executive management" includes the administrator, the assistant administrator, individuals who report directly to the administrator, and the head of each division of the commission.
- (26) "Alternating brewery proprietorship" means an arrangement in which two or more parties take turns using the physical premises of a brewery as permitted under this code and federal law.
- (27) "Contract brewing arrangement" means an arrangement in which two breweries, each of which has a separate facility, contract for one brewery to manufacture malt beverages on behalf of the other brewery due to the limited capacity or other reasonable business necessity of one party to the arrangement.
- (28) "Criminal negligence" has the meaning assigned by Section 6.03, Penal Code.
Acts 1977, 65th Leg., p. 393, ch. 194, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1977. Amended by Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 532, Sec. 1, eff. Aug. 28, 1989; Acts 1989, 71st Leg., ch. 692, Sec. 1, eff. June 14, 1989; Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 934, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993.
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1182 (S.B. 1255
), Sec. 1, eff. June 18, 2005.
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 68 (S.B. 904
), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2007.
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 420 (S.B. 1257
), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2007.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1074 (H.B. 3307
), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2013.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1190 (S.B. 1090
), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2013.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1236 (S.B. 1296
), Sec. 21.001(1), eff. September 1, 2015.